He had had to sneak out of Ngozi’s bed while she was still fast asleep. No way could he face up to the embarrassment of the night. Since when did he begin thinking of another woman when with another? The last time the thought of any woman had so permeated his thoughts like this was with Nkem and it did not end happily. Would he be willing to go back that road? He had no answer. He looked every inch exhausted from his thoughts.
He was up on his feet again as he crossed to the buffet to mix himself a drink. Being sober this morning appeared to be driving him nuts. He drained the first shot of the blended mix of Jameson Irish Whiskey and Absolut Vodka in one gulp. It seemed to calm his nerves a little. He mixed himself a half of the glass, carried it over to the settee and settled back into it. He had got to clear his thoughts before they drove him round the bend.
By the time Mike had drunk three quarter of the drink, what to do was taking shape in his head. The drink had done some nice job shaping up his thoughts. He sauntered off into the bedroom, undressed and made for the bathroom. For more than ten minutes, he sat in the bathtub just savouring the feel of the warm water on his body as he sipped the remainder of his drink. His whirlwind of a thought was gradually steadying. He could hear his phone ring but he made no attempt to go get it. Now was time to think straight and through.
At ten minutes before eight that morning, Mike was all dressed with bag packed. He had convinced himself that two days of self-assessment would be enough to channel the next phase in his life. He summoned in his flunkey, briefed him about his intention to be away from home for the next two days and had him take his bag to his Jeep. He looked around the sitting room for the last time that morning trying to not forget anything he would need for the short vacation.
He would need to get to Ifeoma’s place, before making a short stop at the hospital. He had no doubt that she would be home. He wanted to announce his impromptu vacation to her in person. He was welcome in by Benita who answered the door at the first rap on the door.
“Oh! See who is here.” She enthused. Her disposition was a marked contrast to what it had been the previous day. She ushered him in with a welcoming smile.
“Good morning. Hope I’m lucky this time.” Mike replied.
“Yeah, she’s in the room dressing up. You want me to get her?”
“I’ll so much appreciate the kind gesture.”
“Alright, why not have your seat while I go get…” Benita was saying.
“That may not be necessary.” Cut in Ifeoma as she walked into the sitting room, “I saw him get out of the Jeep.”
“ Oh, talk of the devil!” Interjected Benita as she left the pair and disappeared into one of the rooms.
“Hey Mike, good to see you. But aren’t you going to work?” Ifeoma asked.The mere sight of Ifeoma was enough to get Mike’s heart racing. His mouth could not form any meaningful word. And her question made him look very stupid to himself that moment. He could have called to tell her he would be away for a couple of days. But he had driven almost forty-five minutes to announce this. Even though he tried all he could to feel otherwise, he knew the underlying reason he was here was just to set his eyes on Ifeoma again. Now, he regretted the decision. Why was he allowing a woman do this to him?
“I’m not going to work.” He said when he finally found his voice. “I have to be somewhere for a couple of days. I came to inform you about that.”
“Really? A journey?”
“No. I just need some time alone to myself. A sort of retreat.”
“For how long have you been planning this?”
“It was not until the wee hours of this morning.”
“Hope it’s nothing though.”
“No. It’s nothing I can’t handle.” Returned Mike forcing a smile.
“Are you sure you don’t want to talk about it, if it’s anything that bothers you?”
“You don’t worry. I’ll have it sorted out.” Mike said but thinking in his mind, “If only you knew…”
“Okay. So, when will you be back?”
“I’ll let you know.”
“Don’t tell me we won’t be talking while you’re away.”
“I’m afraid, that’s going to be the case.”
“But why Mike? I’m going to miss you.”Mike took a deep sigh before saying, “I know and I will probably miss you too.”
“Probably?”Mike left the question unanswered. He did not trust his emotions. “I’ve got to get going now, I still want to stop by at work.”
Ifeoma saw Mike off to where he parked outside the compound and watched him drive off. She had never known him so physically disturbed. She tried to think up any reason that could make him feel this way as she went back to the house. Could he be up against some pressure at work? But she remembered their conversation the night before was smooth and suggested nothing. “What can’t the night do to a man?” She wondered. Something was definitely eating deep into Mike. She could not be more convinced. What had promised to be a thrilling day for her, she could envisage might turn lonely and blue after all.
